Political and Economic Networks Observatory (Syrian Program)
- You refers to the User of the website.
- We refers to the Observatory for Political and Economic Networks (Syrian Program) website (“Site”) in both Arabic and English, and any sub-site within its scope.
- Personal Data/User Information refers to any information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual.
- User(s) refers to the users of the Site generally and/or individually as the context indicates.
We handle all Personal Data and User Information in strict accordance with all Canadian privacy legislation.
1- How do We handle User Information provided to us?
By entering User Information, You agree that We may retain your User Information on our behalf or through the services of a third-party company that processes such information on our behalf.
- to create, select, and present content and media in the form of audio, video, and/or printed materials presented either online, via broadcast, or in any other format related to news or current issues for educational and awareness-raising purposes
- to conduct market research, including statistical analysis related to user behavior to develop our products and services, which we may provide to third parties both in an impersonal (by masking visible data) and fully aggregated manner.
- to identify problems with our websites, products, applications, or services; to plan improvements to our websites, products, applications, or services; to create new websites, products, applications, or services
- to enable us to fulfill all legal requirements imposed on us
- to send You periodic correspondence via email regarding specifications, products, services, events, and special offers
- to communicate with You by any means (including email, phone, text messages, social media, mail, and in-person) to inform You of news and other information that may be of interest to You, provided that such notifications comply with the law, that You maintain and update your contact information as necessary, and that We obtain Your advance voluntary consent when required
We may share Your User Information with a third party:
- in order for the third party to send You periodic correspondence regarding specifications, products, services, events, and special offers on our behalf
- if We sell or buy business or assets; in such a case We may disclose Your User Information to the potential buyer or seller of such a business or property
- in the event that a third party gains all or most of our assets; the User Information that You provided to Us will pass to this third party as part of the assets transferred to it
If We have to disclose or share Your User Information, it will be in order to:
- comply with legal obligations
- apply or obey terms, conditions and/or any other agreements
- protect our rights, property, safety, our customers, or other Users
We may also disclose Your User Information to any of the companies and organizations associated with the Observatory for Political and Economic Networks (Syrian Program), wherever these companies are located in the world and for any reason.
3 - Data
We do not collect Your Personal Data only for the sake of collecting them, but this usually happens in the context of the regular daily use of our websites and within the legal framework permitted in Canada. We also do not in any way deliver Your personal data to any third party outside the framework of the law. When You use the website, we may collect personal data about You from the following sources:
- Data You provide: We may obtain Personal Data that You provide to us when You contact us by email, telephone, or any other means.
- Data You make public: We may collect or obtain Personal Data that You expressly decide to make available to the general public, including on social media sites (for example, we may collect information from Your social media account(s) if You post any material written or pictured on our website).
- Data provided via the Sites: We may collect or obtain your Personal Data when You visit any of our websites or use any features or resources available on or through one of our websites.
- Registration Data: We may collect or obtain your Personal Data when You use—or register to use—any of our websites, products, applications, or services.
- Content and advertising information: If You decide to interact with any third-party content or advertisements on a website or in an application of the Observatory for Political and Economic Networks (Syrian Program), then We may receive Personal Data about You from the relevant third party.
- Receiving information from third parties: We may also collect or obtain your Personal Data from third parties that provide it to us (credit reference agencies, law enforcement authorities, etc.).
4- The nature of the Personal Data We may collect about You:
- Personal Data: full name, preferred name, and photograph.
- Demographic data: gender, date of birth/age, nationality, surname, and language preferences.
- Contact data: mailing address, phone number, email address, social media account(s).
- Consent Records: Records of any consents You have given, along with the date and time, the means of consent, and any relevant information (for example, the subject of consent).
- Data related to our websites: device type, operating system, browser type, browsing settings, IP address, language settings, dates and times of connection to a site related to the Observatory for Political and Economic Networks (Syrian Program), application usage statistics, application settings, dates and times of connecting to an application related to the Observatory for Political and Economic Networks (Syrian Program), geo-location data, and other technical communication information (some of which may be Personal Data), username, password, access security data, usage data, and aggregated statistical information.
- Employer data: If You interact with us as an employee of a company or organization, We may collect information on your employer’s name, address, phone number, and email as necessary.
- Content and advertising data: records of Your interactions with information and online content, records of advertisements and content displayed on pages or application screens displayed to You, any previous interactions You had with such content or advertisements (including mouse movements, clicks, any forms You complete—including incomplete forms—and any interactions with the touch screen).
- Views and opinions: Any views and opinions You express and/or choose to send to us or to publicly post about us on social media sites.
5- Your legal rights
In accordance with applicable law, You may have a number of rights related to the processing of your relevant Personal Data, including:
- The right not to provide us with your Personal Data (however, We may not be able to provide You with full use of our websites, applications, or services if You do not provide us with Your Personal Data).
- The right to request correction of any inaccuracies in your relevant Personal Data.
- The right to demand the following on legitimate grounds:
- the deletion of your relevant Personal Data
- that We restrict processing of your relevant Personal Data
You can, upon request, withdraw your consent to receive periodic correspondences regarding specifications, products, services, and events, by responding to the “Unsubscribe” link in correspondence from us. Please note that We will not disclose your User Information to a third party to enable them to send You direct marketing communications without Your prior consent to do so.
7- Data Security
We implement appropriate technical and organizational security measures designed to protect your Personal Data from accidental or unlawful damage, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure, unauthorized access, and other forms of unlawful or unauthorized processing in accordance with the law.
As the Internet is an open network, the transmission of information over the Internet is never completely secure. Although We will implement all reasonable measures to protect your Personal Data, We cannot completely guarantee the security of your data transmitted to us over the Internet; You hold the risk of transmitting data over the Internet as well as the responsibility to ensure that any Personal Data You transmit to us are transmitted securely.
You should be aware that information and data may be collected automatically through the use of “cookies.” Cookies are small text files in which basic information used by a network site is saved in order to recognize repeated uses of the site (for example, to retrieve your name if it was previously entered). We may use this information in order to track behavior and compile aggregate data in order to improve the website, target advertisements, and evaluate the overall effectiveness of such advertisements.
9- Protecting Your User Information
Unfortunately, transmission of data over the Internet cannot be fully guaranteed. While We are fully committed to protecting your User Information, We cannot guarantee the security of sending your User Information to the website. Any data transmission, including your User Information, is done at your own risk.
For our part, We are aware of industry standards and use security applications in order to protect User Information from any unlawful hacking or misuse. Therefore, when We use User Information, We implement industry standard procedures and security specifications in order to prevent unauthorized access to User Information.
10 - Definitions
- Application means any application that We provide (including applications that We make available through third-party stores or marketplaces or by any other means).
- Personal Data Protection Jurisdiction means the jurisdiction formally designated by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection for Personal Data (GDPR) as well as the jurisdiction defined by Canada [The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)].
- Cookie means a small text file that is created on your device when You visit a website (including our websites). Reference to a “cookie” in this notice includes similar technologies, such as web beacons and transparent GIFs.
- Personal Data means information that relates to any person or by which any person can be directly or indirectly identified, in particular by referring to an identifier such as a name, identification number, location data, online or economic identifier, or cultural or social identifier for that person.
- Processes, Processing or Processor means any action taken on Personal Data, whether through automated or manual means such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, configuration, alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, publishing, making it available, adapting, compiling, restricting, erasing, or destroying it.
- Relevant Personal Data means Personal Data that We control. It does not include Personal Data over which We do not have control.
- Significant Personal Data means personal data relating to race or ethnicity, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, any actual or alleged criminal offenses or penalties, national identification number, or any other information that may be considered sensitive under applicable law.
- Website means any website operated or managed by us or on our behalf.
For inquiries or comments regarding this policy, please contact us using the designated form in the main page.